New to Gundam Wing? Check out my quickie GW Primer to get you started. If you can't stomach the idea of two males in a romantic relationship, or you're under 18, you shouldn't be here. Go surf for the bland and prosaic elsewhere.|
It's a way for me to keep track of what I've read and what I like. I'm constantly adding/removing links. If anyone else finds the recs useful, that's great. I'm hoping the recs will help encourage more people to join the fandom and write fics of their own.|
- 1x2x1, 3x4x3. 3x4x5, 5xS, 13x5, 5x6, 5xM ok too.
- multiple chapter, longer stories
- a plot!
- happy ending after realistic amount of turmoil
- lemon or lime is a plus
- particular faves are in bold
- 1xR, or HYxRP, DMxHS
- 5x2, 6x2, 13x2
- 1x2xR, 1x2x6, 1x2x5, or some other 1x2x? threesome
- Yuri RxD
- One shots, songfics, vidfics, ficlets.
- is the nth Gundam pilot!
- "Relena is really a Gundam pilot/assassin/ in disguise!"
- Second generation fics: children/long lost relative/old friend of the Gundam pilots etc
Hey This Story Isn't Finished!/Isn't Even Proofread!/Is Stupid!|
Why Did You Recommend It?
Yes, I Am Aware Of The Flaws
One thing I have come to accept about a large majority of Gundam Wing stories, is that many of the writers are...how shall I say...*cough*...more inexperienced than the other fanfic fandoms I've read. Writers struggle alone without a beta reader and yes, this means they release fics chapter by chapter and often, without editing. Even those that are edited suffer for lack of life experience on the part of the writer. GW fandom also has a higher proportion of young writers whose first language is obviously not English.
OK, So Why Read GW Fanfic?
Yes, it would be nice to have lyrical descriptions, interesting plotlines, and crisp dialogue fleshed out by my fave characters, but it never works out that way. I read books for the other things, and fanfic for the characters. So why read it and rec it in the first place?
I came for the 3x4 and stayed for the 1x2.
I was an anime virgin who came into this fandom through 3x4 fanfic. I like Trowa and Quatre as a couple - there is a sweet innocence about them that reminds me of the simple, it's-black-or-white 40s era outlook in books and movies from that time. But I would have likely moved on long ago if it hadn't been for 1x2. That couple effectively nailed me into staying in this fandom. Singly, the characters of Heero and Duo are merely interesting curiosities, but as partners they are dynamite - in and out of the bedroom. Most of the best authors in this fandom write 1x2, and there's no doubt that their Heero/Duo yaoi fanfic fairly sizzles with sexual tension and conflict.
Critical Mass Forces Innovation, Good Mix of Older & Younger Fans
The GW fanfic community is also quite massive and energetic. (23,000+ GW stories at FFN and counting) Older fandoms like XFiles or Trek have lost a lot of their fanbase and momentum. Highlander, Phantom Menace, etc have technically sound fanfic, even brilliant at times in the use of metaphor and imagery, but the plotlines are so tired they have all the attraction of three day old roadkill. Either that or the writers go down the angst-angst-woe-is-me road which is great when you're in the mood, but can be pretty damn depressing. Younger writers in GW, on the other hand, when they aren't writing awful Mary Sues plagued with grammatical errors, have a certain innocent charm and humour that the older ones can't match. The sheer level of enthusiasm in this fandom makes the other fanfic communities just look dead! I don't think anything outstrips the activity of GW fanfic writers online at this time except perhaps Star Wars, Digimon, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. Although there are a certain amount of copycats, by and large the younger GW writers are innovative and it's fun to see what fusions, or new plot twists will appear.
The Fanfic Community is Friendly
Another major reason for being part of this fandom are the fans themselves. Gift fanart and virtual glomping are a common occurrence. Feedback is almost a given, with the more popular writers being inundated with well wishers. So far I've found most people here quite lovely!
- Duo and Quatre are my faves, with Heero a very close second. I usually rec fics based on how well those three characters are written.
- Trowa's an enigma to me. A nearly blank canvas, great for AU fics.
- I'm lukewarm about Wufei. He's just a very prickly character and hard to like. I know too many people like him. 'nuff said.
- 1x2x1 all the way! Start with 5x2 or 1xR, I don't care, as long as it ends with 1x2/2x1.
- Heero & Duo are classic. A (relation)shipper's dream couple. They're like Mulder & Scully, Janeway & Chakotay, MacLeod & Methos, peanut butter & jelly, etc etc
- Quatre is a cutie but too often he comes off as a simpering wimp. Hello! Gundam Pilot?
- 3x4x5 works because of Quatre. Fics that end in 1x2x? threesomes generally don't work for me.
- No, I'm not new to yaoi/slash. Took me awhile though. Go read My Journey Into Slash if you want the gory detail.
- Relena? Two words. Pink. Menace.
- Me a misogynist, haha. I love kickass female characters like Scully, Janeway, Emma Frost, Jubilee, Kira Nerys, Buffy, etc. Hey, I grew up on Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels! Relena you say? *snort*
- I've also been accused of being anti-het. *shakes head* Talk about absurd. I'm a big het shipper in other fandoms.
- You understand now why I like RFO (Relena Finds Out) fanfic.
- You understand now why 1x2xR makes me grind my teeth. Excuse me while I master my gag reflex.
- You came to 1x2 through 1xR? Welcome. Come on in, the water's fine!
- If you have read both the best of 1x2 and 1xR, and you voluntarily choose 1xR...well, you're someone with a fundamentally different worldview and will probably be offended by all the criticism of Relena on this site. I tend to think it's the vestiges of latent homophobia that make people cling to 1xR, but if I'm wrong, let me know. Based purely on writing ability, yaoi writers in this fandom excel, hands down. This is from someone who is primarily a het fan (pairings in other fandoms that I follow are mostly male/female). Oh and another thing, criticism is different from bashing. Even if I did bash, who the hell are you to tell me not to bash? I'm entitled to my opinion.
- These pages contain references to YAOI. If you don't like the idea of two males in a romantic relationship, LEAVE. (Well, duh.)
- You should be over 18. I'm assuming you can handle NCS, NC17 ratings, otherwise LEAVE. It's not like Heero is forcing you at gunpoint to read this stuff.
- if you don't like darker stories, check author's notes before reading.
- I realize there are multiple themes, but I have categorized the stories according to the main theme, or the one that was the most prominent and yet least likely to give the ending away.
If you are an author or an archivist and for some reason, you don't want a direct link to the story, email me and let me know.|
See our Biases: Nitid, Sonny, Genki - Top || Recs - Interactive - Author Finder - Links - Writers - Webmasters - Misc
Fanfic Quote/Excerpt of the Moment:
Fight Spam! Click Here!
The whistles blared, the wheels clattered, and steam shot out from the braking mechanisms of both trains as they tried to slow down, but Heero had picked a spot far enough inside the tunnel that the effect would be minimized, and the wind force enjoyed to its full extent. It was perfectly calculated, a perfect mix of security and excitement, of serenity peppered with shots of adrenaline. Heero leaned forward, and at the exact point in time where each of the two trains shot past them on a different side, creating a miniature cyclone to which both boys were purposely oblivious, he pulled Duo even closer, and kissed him.
--Bridlewood Manor by Mitsugi [Mitsu Gallery]
This Page Last Updated: Sunday, 28-Sep-2003 18:13:21 CDT
Attention! This site contains YAOI. If you can't handle the concept of same sex relationships, or don't like 1x2, 3x4, 5x?, don't complain. No one's forcing you to read this. Just surf somewhere else, ok?